I got my Nikon D600 back from Nikon’s repair shop today. I sent it in July 6th, so that’s not bad at all. I’m about $300 poorer ($279 for the repairs and about $20 to ship it to them with insurance). The autofocus is fixed, they cleaned the sensor and the internal parts, repaired the mirror mechanism, and updated the firmware. Unfortunately all the configuration items that I customized were set back to the factory defaults. It took me the better part of an hour to go through all the layers of menus to set everything back to where I like it, making in my camera again.
A photo of Suzie and of Betty to make sure the camera is working.
Friend Kit came over with a Nikkor 300mm f/4 lens he had rented to let me try it out on my Nikon D600. It’s light, small, the autofocus is very fast. I like it, if I had $2K laying around doing nothing (which I don’t), I might want to buy one. Here’s a couple of shots I got around the house with it.
A group of us went to shoot fire, in an abandoned road or railway tunnel south of Prescott, Az. Here T. uses an air powered sprayer to simulate a flame thrower. This is a 5 image composite, each shot at ISO 400 f/8 1/90 in a Nikon D600. I combined the layers in Photoshop using the lighten blend mode, and masked out T. to eliminate ghosting.