February 14th is Valentines Day, of course. It is also Arizona Statehood Day. Arizona became the 48th state on February 14, 1912.
From the Prescott Daily Courier:
1. Arizona turns 105 years-old this year
2. It took Arizona 56 years to gain statehood
3. Congress wanted to combine Arizona and New Mexico and admit it as one state, but people living in the territory of Arizona voted against it 16,265 to 3,141
4. Arizona officially became a state on Feb. 14, 1912
5. Which also happens to be Valentine’s Day
6. And Oregon’s birthday
7. President William Howard Taft signed Arizona into statehood
8. Arizona’s first governor, George W. P. Hunt was present for the signing in Washington D.C.
9. Arizona only had 200,000 residents at the time of statehood
10. Arizona was the 48th territory to become a state, making it one of the youngest states in our country’s history